“Swinging for the Fences!”?
Okay in my last sermon of the “Topics” series I focused on the church. In that rather lengthy message toward the end I attempted to make a point about the importance of the pastor rising to the occasion and my own personal view about how I want to be right in the the thick of ministry when things are going on. So I said something like: “It’s Tiger Woods in a major on Sunday…It’s the bottom of the ninth, 2 outs and 2 strikes, I’m swinging for the fences!” Well the truth is you would never “swing for the fences” in that situation. As soon as I said it I knew I was a little off and then a member pointed it out to me. What I wanted to communicate is that in those moments when everything is on the line I want to be the guy preaching, serving, teaching, and baptizing. When the stakes are high I want to be up to bat in ministry. In other words I didn’t get into this to sit on the sidelines and “twiddle” my thumbs God placed me here to make a difference and even in the most pressure filled situations I want to be His guy. So forgive me for the misuse of my analogy but hopefully you understand where I’m coming from.
About pastor bernieCollegiate/Young Adult pastor Forest Lake Church, near Orlando, FL
- RT @wcagls: Most leaders are trying to figure out the right strategy. The best leaders are obsessed with empowering the right people. - @cr… 1 day ago
- RT @EugeneCho: Don't be lazy and make assumptions about people. Ask about their story. Then listen. Be humble. Be teachable. Be human. Be a… 1 day ago
- RT @RichStearns: Solving poverty is rocket science! There is never a single cause of poverty – an entire poverty 'ecosystem' entraps the po… 1 day ago
- @JosefRasheed So good to see you and catch up! Thank you for coming. I’m headed out today but I’ll be in touch as soon as I’m back. Peace. 1 week ago
- @RetroLakeHowell Thank you! No done multiple half’s and a few full marathons. But this one is one of my faves! 3 weeks ago